Cochlear introduces the Nucleus 7 sound processor today! Compatible with Nucleus CI24RE, CI500 and Profile Series Implants, key features include:
- The N7 is the lightest sound processor on the market.
- Can stream sound directly from compatible Apple devices. Bimodal users can stream sound directly from a compatible iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to the Nucleus 7 in one ear and a compatible ReSound hearing aid in the other ear.
- Control, monitor and customize hearing on an iPhone or iPod touch through the Nucleus® Smart App available to download for free from the App Store®
The Nucleus 7 is expected to be available in the US in September 2017 for new candidates. In October 2017 the processor will be available as an upgrade for current recipients in the US and Canada. There is no information yet about availability in other regions, or on compatibility with Nucleus 22 series implants.
For more information, read the press release here.
Get a sneak preview of the Cochlear Nucleus 7 processor! Stay tuned here for breaking news on the N7 from Cochlear.
Information distilled by Bob MacPherson from an interview with Jan Janssen, Senior Vice President Research and Development, Cochlear Limited on MedicalResearch.com, dateline july 20, 2017:
* The Nucleus® 7 Sound Processor is the world’s first and only Made for iPhone cochlear implant sound processor, allowing users to stream sound from their iPhone®, iPad® and iPod touch® directly to their cochlear implant sound processor. It not only enhances the experience of talking on the phone, it also makes features like enjoying music or watching videos, as well as audio apps such as Maps or FaceTime, more easily accessible.
* The Nucleus 7 Sound Processor is also the smallest and lightest behind-the-ear sound processor on the market.
* With the availability of the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor, Cochlear is also offering the first Made for iPhone Smart Bimodal Solution (the combination of a cochlear implant in one ear and a hearing aid in the other), enabling both hearing devices to provide synchronized streaming to both ears from a compatible iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. The Nucleus 7 Bimodal Solution is delivered by using a Nucleus 7 Sound Processor, a compatible ReSoundTM hearing aid and a paired iPhone or iPod to control functionality for both hearing devices.
* The Nucleus 7 Smart App gives parents confidence that they can monitor their child’s sound processor and ensure they are hearing. The device also includes a variety of features that make it easier on parents and caregivers including:
The new Hearing Tracker feature records coil-offs time (each time the sound processor coil does not detect the implant coil, such as if it has fallen off a child’s head) and time in speech (which optimizes the sound processor for different types of noise environments).
The Nucleus Smart App Find My Processor feature helps locate a lost sound processor by using Location Services to determine the last place the sound processor was connected to the paired iPhone or iPod touch, whether it has been lost on the playground, in the house or in the car.
Parents are also able to see battery status, adjust volume and change programs using the Nucleus Smart App without needing to touch the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor.
Cochlear has received FDA approval for the Nucleus 7 (N7, or CP1000) BTE processor. This doesn’t mean the processor is available today – it’s up to the company to determine when it will be available.
Preliminary features and differences between the N7 and N6 include:
- Supports Hybrid (EAS) hearing
- Made for iPhone compatibility
- The telecoil is optimized for loops
- Compatible with the Nucleus Smart App (iOS devices remote control app)
- Remote control (volume, sensitivity, & program settings, telecoil, audio accessory)
- Remote assistant replaced by iOS app – compatible Apple device required. Includes tracking function to help locate a lost processor.
- One processor size option. The N6 has two options, the larger of which allows for Direct Connect inputs.
The Nucleus 7 is not compatible with Nucleus 22 or Nucleus 24 implants.
Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available!