If you’re not comfortable with your audiologist, find a new one. It’s very important to build a good relationship with your audiologist because;
- You should be able to explain how things sound to you
- Confidence in your audiologist helps you to explain your hearing better
Questions to ask your audiologist during your cochlear implant assessment:
- How long have you been doing CI mappings?
- How many have you done?
- What are your expectations for my being a successful CI user?
- What do you consider successful in relation to speech recognition?
- What do you consider successful in relation to musical enjoyment?
- How easy is it to contact you with questions?
- Can I email you?
- What would the response time be?
- If I have an issue with my mapping, how soon can I get an appointment with you?
- I plan to request a (X manufacturer’s) implant.
- How many (X manufacturer) patients to you see?
- Are you fully skilled with (X manufacturer) products?
- How long does a typical mapping session last?
- Given my type of loss, how successful to you expect my results to be?
- What do you consider “success” when it comes to speech recognition?
- Ask the audiologist to write answers down for you
– Deanna Seigler